Well, here it is. The last of the series of posts from reflections on 50 years of life. Bobb Biehl has encouraged me in my ministry for a number of years. Bobb uses a series of questions to help one focus on their dreams, aspirations and goals. These are:
- Who do I want to be?
- What do I want to do?
- What do I want to have?
- Who do I want to help?
Who do I want to Be? One who is…
- An encourager who serves enthusiastically and faithfully with a sense of purpose and intentionality
- An equipper, serving others with humility, discipling them in the image of Christ
- Burdened by the lostness of man without Christ
- Physically fit, emotionally, mentally, intellectually and culturally healthy
- Generous with the resources God has given me
- A living example of my Core Values
- Financially independent so as not to be a burden to anyone
What do I want to Do?
- Cruise the inside passage to Alaska
- Cruise to Bermuda via New York
- Take my kids to some of the great historic sights in Georgia, including Rock Eagle, the MLK Jr Nat'l Historic Site, Chattahoochee River NRA, Andersonville, and the Jimmy Carter Nat'l Historic Site
- Assault on Mt. Mitchell
- Visit Cape Hatteras
- Drive the Blue Ridge Parkway
- Explore Great Smokey Mountains National Park by car and backpack
- Vacation in Montana vacation
- Return to Virgin Islands, Buck Island, Christiansted Fort
- Drive Natchez Trace Parkway
- Raft the Obed Wild and Scenic River
- Ride in a gondola down the Grand Canal in Venice with my love babe, Joan.
- Vacation in Iceland
- Travel to the Holy Land
- See a full moon on three remaining continents – Antarctica, South America, Australia
- Bareboat the Caribbean or Mediterranean
- Climb a frozen waterfall
- Climb Grand Teton
- Shoot the rapids on the Snake River in Idaho
- Hike the Appalachian and Pacific Crest trails
- Fly over the Grand Canyon in a helicopter
- Cycle Blue Ridge Parkway
- Bike Natchez Trace Parkway
- Drive through the Canadian Rockies from Banff to Jasper along the Icefields Parkway and then continue on to the Alaska highway to Fairbanks.
- Cross the Andes by driving from Mendoza in Argentina through the vineyards, winding roads, and ski resorts to Santiago in Chile. The Switchback road coming down is one of the world’s great sights and drives.
- Drive up the coast of Northern Chile into Peru. You will go through the Atacama, the world’s driest desert, with the Pacific beaches on one side and the Andes soaring on the other with good pavement all the way.
- Drive the road along the Pacific to Big Sur in California
What do I want to Have?
- An intimate relationship with God built through worship, prayer, and the study of His Word.
- A home that values love, honor, protection, and provision
- A home that encourages intimacy, security, growing self-esteem, and affection.
- A life beyond my career
- Place of retreat & refuge
- Comfortable home consistent with lifestyle
Who do I want to Help?
- Others to know Him and experience the joy he brings by building encouraging relationships
- Pastors, leaders and others to find simplicity out of clutter; harmony out of discord and opportunity in the middle of difficulty
- Others to adopt healthy lifestyle
What's on your list?
Well, you don't have to wait until your 50 (assuming that is yet to come) before reflecting on your life. I hope you'll begin today. May you be blessed in so doing.